Well, my anniversary has come and gone as of June 3. After Stacey's surgery, I wasn't able to get much time in the shop as she really wasn't able to do a whole lot. The good news is that she does understand the delay, the bad news is that I got the first "When is this project gonna be done" the other day.
I have managed to make some progress since Stacey went back to work. Most of the assembly is done, which means the top and bottom are ebonized. I used Transtint black anneline dye mixed with denatured alcohol to ebonize maple for the base and top of the project, and I'm really pretty happy with the result. The nice thing about using alcohol soluble dye vs. water soluble is the speed with which you can accomplish your desired finish. This was my first attempt at using dye, and I was amazed to have been able to turn the pale maple black in a matter of about 45 minutes or so. I also understand that the water soluble dyes don't penetrate as deep into the fibers of the wood, so I'm sure that this adds to how quickly the alcohol dye works.
I also did a huge amount of finish sanding the other day. As much as I don't care for sanding, I realize that it means the finish is in sight. Finish as in the end of the project, but also putting finish on the project- insert groan here.
Next up will be some drawer assembly, building a couple of doors, etching some glass, finish, and hardware. I'm pretty sure I can accomplish all of this in the next week, which would put me right on schedule when you consider that 2 weeks were lost. In fact, if I'm able to complete it this week, I'll be a week ahead of schedule. Wish me luck. Of course, pictures will be posted when the thing is done. Be on the lookout for the next post here. You can also like Knotheads Custom Woodworking on Facebook, and follow me on Twitter @cnyredneck. As always, comments are welcome here and on Google+- Knotheads Cny.